domingo, 17 de mayo de 2020

{Blog #6} Week 3


08/5 -Flash back or forward to age 20. Where are you and what are you doing?

I am just starting my BA, for the second time after transferring from the Uni of my shattered dreams to the Uni of my wildest fantasies. Have I talked about this before? Probably. I’m sorry. The past four years have been all about college for me. Last year I graduated and this year after applying to master’s degrees for September, I finally began pursuing other interests, which has been a nice change of pace. 

09/5 - Write about something that was better than you expected.

Never Have I Ever. I started watching it thinking it would be a light teen movie (spoiler alert: it's a show) ended up binging the whole thing in a day because it delivered all the hilarious savage heartfelt teen shenanigans I was craving at the time.  

10/5 - Write about a wallflower.

I saw it on a plane on my way to New York, the first time I ever visited the city. Needless to say, I was already exhilarated. I was also travelling with my mom for the first time after moving out of her place. I was a teen grappling with depression and looking forward to finally experiencing the city of my adult-wannabe-dreams. I saw The Perks of Being a Wallflower on that flight because Emma Watson was on it. I fell in love with the storytelling, the hipness, the friendship and, most importantly, Ezra Miller, a guy who seemed to embody everything I wanted to become one day (and years later not so much).

I don’t know if I’d still like it—which is why I haven’t wanted to rewatch it in the past few years, but I will never forget the way it made me feel back then and how obsessively I searched for that DVD until I was finally able to order it (to a tiny but well-stocked DVD shop), without knowing if I'd get it in time before we flew back to Santiago (I did!)

11/5 - What can you count on?

My parents, both as individuals and as a unit (in spite of their divorce more than twenty years ago, they have always made it clear that when it comes to parenting they are mostly a monolith). I am infinitely fortunate.

12/5 - Cling. Write about the word “cling”.

I am a natural pendulum. I swing wildly between too much and not all, not knowing which one to cling to. One of my biggest challenges in life is maintaining the pendulum balanced, gyrating slightly on that very happy center. Cling only to what really matters, learn to let it go when the time comes.

13/5 - Write about someone you will never see again, who did something nice.

This is a perfect opportunity to salute all those flight attendants that continue to allow my heavy bookfull luggage to go through without extra charge. 

14/5 - ...is this quote by Zora Neale Hurston: “There are years that ask questions and years that answer.”

Yes. This is the year answers are blossoming left and right. Even so, new questions constantly arise… It’s been a while since I’ve felt so genuinely excited about life, in a real non-aspirational way. It’s great!


No hay comentarios

Publicar un comentario

© I can resist anything except temptation... and a good bookstore
Maira Gall