lunes, 8 de junio de 2020

{Blog #8} I'm obsessed with Anna Karenina and here's why...


Did the urge came out of nowhere? I'm trying to remember what could have caused this sudden burst of interest. Was it the book that mentioned how Tolstoy liked Tchaikovsky's music but refused to listen to it too often lest it should move him too deeply? Was it the actual listening to Tchaikovsky I've been doing recently? Was it this unstable winter we're entering here in Santiago?

When I included it in my June TBR, I wasn't too sure about it. After all, the impulse had been there once before and the novel had failed to retain my attention (to be fair, I was in the middle of a very demanding semester at the time). So I didn't think much of my picking it up this second time around; I would probably get twenty pages in and then soft DNF it. 

Oh, how wrong I was.

To the barest of the bare bones, Anna Karenina follows the pragmatic and spiritual effects of Anna's infidelity. It also follows Levin and Kitty's adorable love story. It all unravels through 800+ pages, and of course there is so much more to it all, but because I don't want to spoil it in any way, I'll just make a list of some of the reasons I'm obsessed with this masterpiece.
  • Characters, and characterization.
There is the (in)famous issue of the multiple names, but as long as you're vigilant from the beginning, you really do get used to it after all the characters are introduced. In any case, the characterization is brilliant. Everyone is unique and flawed and exasperating but also engaging and, dare I say it, lovable. I swear, I'm so invested in all of these people's lives it's ridiculous. 
  • Society.
This might be just ignorance on my part, but I really have been enjoying the personal politics and dynamics of high society Russia in the 19th century. Ideas of scandal, faith, marriage, position—all fascinating concepts I need to learn more about but are all latent here. 
  • Levin's existential crisis and HUMAN RIGHTS.
For a reason you should discover yourself, Levin begins working in the fields. This leads him to an existential crisis, as well as the realization of how unfair the division of labor and capital is. He discusses the idea with several other characters and conclusions emerge. Another amazing scene is the discussion of women's rights. What is most fascinating is how these conversations are engaging and fairly succinct, so Tolstoy's ideas shine through without any of it feeling like a drag. 
  • Kitty and female-female relationships.
As a young princess, Kitty really looks up to other women for role models, and she encounters more than a few, all very different. The passionate open way in which her admiration is described is beautiful and sincere. It made me think of Between Women, a fascinating non-fiction work exploring female friendship and desire in Victorian England. 
  • Short chapters.
I mean I do hate when contemporary novels take the short chapter concept to ridiculous lengths of laziness, but in this case the result is a page turner where the different storylines slowly intertwine in a tense and gripping plot. You don't know how many times I've succumbed to the "just one more chapter" syndrome with this one. 
  • Atmosphere, and the unspoken. 
Tolstoy is a master at creating atmosphere, be it of heartwarming intimacy or unbearable tension. Through precise dialogue and acute descriptions of actions and subjective impressions, he creates these moments that weight heavy with what isn't on the page, but if you've been paying attention you understand. In fact, this is so well done that overall the book is both incredibly layered and compulsively readable.

One of the most widespread translations (I'm guessing because it's open access), it has both its supporters and detractors. Apparently, it's not that faithful, and Constance dearest put too much of herself in it. While I'm already down for a reread, and when that happens I would like to try a newer translation, I do love this one. It feels consistent and it's a delight to read. I've already purchased War and Peace translated by her, so we'll see how that holds up. 

So there you go.  I am currently 2/3 of the way through and in a perpetual "wish I were reading" state of mind.

If this entry has (miraculously) inspired yo to pick up this book, please DM me on twitter or insta so we can gush about it. Thank you very much.

No hay comentarios

Publicar un comentario

© I can resist anything except temptation... and a good bookstore
Maira Gall