lunes, 10 de febrero de 2020

{Book Masterlist} Campus Novels



Listen, I love college as much as the next person...

…Except more. MUCH, MUCH more. I loved the structure, the interesting classes (and loved to complain about those I hated), the campus library. All in all, four transformative years of studying, learning, sharing, stressing, and growing up. Although I didn't do the whole exchange thing, I did go to an Irish Studies Summer School, which only confirmed (perhaps even increased) my devotion to  academic knowledge. Indeed, I enjoy university so much I wish I never had to leave (and I actually might not have to, but more on that later on).

Which is probably why I have become seriously addicted to campus novels.

Hence, this master list.

I want to pack it with every single campus novel I have ever read (and update it accordingly), sorting them into: Adored, Alright, and NOs. I’m crafting a similar list here, but only with the superior ones. For the sake of space, I’m only writing one-line appreciations, but I’ll link their Goodreads so you can check summaries if you want.

Feel free to recommend me more, either here or on other social media (links to your right)!

((Adored))
  1. A Single Man, Christopher Isherwood - Not the most campus-centered, but beautifully written and completely heart wrenching. 
  2. Stoner, John Williams - One of the most wonderful and heartbreaking pieces of literature ever written. 
  3. The Secret History, Donna Tartt - Just as entertaining as everyone says, though not an all-time favorite. 
  4. The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath - I didn't go into this thinking it was a campus novel (and it's not actually) but it deals (amazingly) with college life, the in-betweens, and the anxiety of after.
((Alright))
  1. Possession, A.S. Byatt - It definitely dragged at times, but supremely well done and entertaining for the most part.
  2. Sweet Days of Discipline, Fleur Jaeggy - This is not about academia, but it deals with female dynamics specifically in the confined environment of the boarding school as an institution. 
((NOs))
  1. Paulina & Fran, Rachel B. Glassier - Read this ages ago, can’t remember anything except how disappointing it was… and a bathroom sex scene.
  2. The Study of Animal Languages, Lindsay Stern - The first part was alright (fascinating even, at the very beginning) so I debated where to put this, but ultimately it's not worth the time. 
  3. Normal People, Sally Rooney - Twice Attempted, DNF'd; I understand why people like it, but I honestly think it's poorly done. 
((TBR))
  1. The Female Persuasion, Meg Wholitzer
  2. Women’s Studies, Julia Watts
  3. Lucky JimKingsley Amis
  4. Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace
  5. The Shakespeare Requirement, Julie Schumacher
  6. The Idiot, Elif Batuman 
  7. All Souls, Javier Marías

No hay comentarios

Publicar un comentario

© I can resist anything except temptation... and a good bookstore
Maira Gall